Skip to main content

Chateau de l'Herm, Rouffignac-Saint-Cernin

16th century château with a dark past

Featured in
Sights & Sites
Updated

The present castle dates to 1530 when it was built by the Herm family. Its Gothic style consists of a rectangular main building flanked by two round towers. 

The château was abandoned by the family in the 17th century following a dark tale of many murders and fell into disrepair. There are currently excavation works underway to reveal the medieval buildings sited here in earlier times and there are concerts here in the summer. It was the inspiration for Eugène le Roy's novel, Jacqou le Croquant.

When to come

From 1 April to 31 May from 10:00 to 19:00. From 1 July to 30 September from 10:00 to 19:00.

Location

Map of the surrounding area
Gabares & canoes at La Roque Gageac
a chateau in the sunshine

Events

See allEvents
the main market square in sarlat la caneda
Grandes Heures de Saint-Emilion, Saint Emilion
people in red robes in front of castle ruins
Rassemblement Europeen de Montgolfieres
Wine Chateaux Open Visitis (Portes Ouvertes)