Situated between Sarlat and Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil this thirteenth-century castle was renovated as recently as 1890.
This honey-coloured château was built in the 13th century and enlarged in the 15th century. Its Neo-Gothic restoration from the 19th century is the façade you see today.
Apparently, in the 16th century, Teresa of Saint-Clar was caught with her lover when her husband returned unexpectedly from war. He punished her by locking her in the north tower of the château where she died 15 years later and her ghost is said to haunt the château. Inside, there is a wonderful spiral staircase, a room dedicated to some fantastic tapestries, and an exceptional room covered in black and white paintings of Greek mythology.
- Free parking
- Château de Puymartin
More Dordogne Insights...
- Travellers welcome to Dordogne from June 15th 2020
- Matt Damon & Ben Affleck on set in Dordogne
- Happy New Year from Dordogne!
- Merry Christmas from the team at SeeDordogne.com
- Kerry & Tomas - Owners at Les Charmes de Carlucet
- Grab a bargain - Dordogne summer sales 2018