Surrounded by three walls, this medieval castle building from the 13th century has had various additions over the centuries in a more Renaissance style.
In 1453, at the end of the Hundred Years War, the fortress began to be embellished and was eventually transformed into a Gothic mansion, decorated with dormer windows and carved fireplaces. In the 17th-century, the castle underwent its latest architectural modifications with the landscaping of a large terrace, sitting on a vaulted gallery. By 1780 the castle had fallen into disuse. Its rebirth did not begin until 1859, under the initiative of Count Ernest de Maleville and his son Lucien, a renowned painter in the region. 1927 Lucien had the castle classified as an historical monument.
The château today houses a good collection of authentic furniture and tapestries as well as a collection of arms. Current owners, the Delautre family, continue the castle restoration work as it is considered one of the most emblematic chateaux of the Black Perigord.
- Public car-park (outdoor)